Jan 11, 2013

Compelling Reasons - Part 2

Mentoring young business professionals is a great opportunity to get a different perspective on things, I highly recommend it. During a coaching session one my men-tees (spell check did that...) asked me, "What motivates you?"

Essentially what she was asking was, what are your compelling reasons.

That has been my favorite topic to ponder lately. Well, I've come to the conclusion there are a ton. Which I guess is a good and a bad thing given the amount of direst I've been under trying to figure this mystery out.  

Tony Robbins suggests that most people's compelling reasons can be separated into two (that's right 2, count'em people) categories.

1. The desire to avoid pain
2. The desire to get pleasure 

Yup, that's right...everything you do is because of one of the above. It makes logical sense (iGuess). Either way, I challenge you to think about what motivates you, your own "compelling reasons".

"By understanding what makes you keep going you can continuously push yourself through any difficult situation."

Me, I do it to avoid the pain. It's actually a medical condition:

Athazagoraphobia (n) - Fear of being forgotten, ignored, or replaced.


No comments: